Sunday, March 1, 2009

Change of Plans

Today was supposed to be filled with a trip home and attending a good friend's wedding shower. Even though I felt guilty for not studying all day I was really looking forward to it! Then my poor friend called to tell me she had been struck with Mycoplasma pneumoniae (she actually said "walking pneumonia", but what good is all this expensive education if I don't use a little of it?). The girl was kind enough to cancel it and not risk giving it to us all. That's the thoughtful and responsible thing to do. She's only having 1 more shower before her wedding on March 14 and since she's one of my good buddies I REALLY want to be there for her shower. The problem? It's the Saturday before test week. The solution? I'm ALREADY being a big slacker and going to Oxford that Friday for a Modest Mouse concert. On the way back to Jack-town I can just swing by my hometown and go to the shower. It's so unlike me doing all these FUN things the weekend before test week. Not that I'm never a slacker, but usually the weekend before test week I'm wound so tight that if Kris even looks at me the wrong way I can go into a rage and then tears within 2 minutes. This, my friends, should be interesting...

I can see it now. She's going to be opening presents and I'll offer to help rip the paper off faster. I'm always surprised the rest of the world is normal for that weekend. How can people be smiling? Don't they know I'm about to have 6 tests? Why is everyone moving so slowly? What's with the small talk? I've got 8000 things to learn in the next 3 days. AHHHHH!!!!!!!!! This is one of the things I really don't like about myself - I'm very self-centered. It's not in an "I'm better than you" way but more of an "Oh my gosh, I don't have time to sit around playing like all these normal people" sort of way. At least I'm aware of it right?

Another thing I do when I'm feeling stressed is finish people's sentences. I feel like I already know what they're going to say and I'm too impatient to just let them get it out already. I try to keep a lid on it most of the time, but feel free to put me in my place if I ever act like this around you.

Today was spent like a usual weekend day, a little lazy at the beginning, some studying in the middle, a big break, then more studying. I'm such a night person. I'm not dreading the nights in the hospital next year nearly as much as the early mornings of the surgery rotation. It's going to be hard to put makeup on in the car on the way there when it's still dark outside in the morning. That being said, I'm turning in my preferences for the order of my 3rd year rotations tomorrow. I'm less concerned with the ACTUAL schedule and more concerned with who I'll be sharing it with. I think I can get along with most people in our class though, especially since we'll be too preoccupied running around to get on each other's nerves too much. For those of you who want to know, here's the rotations I'll go through next year (in no particular order):

Surgery - 12 weeks
Family Medicine - 6 weeks
Psychiatry - 6 weeks
Internal Medicine and Neurology - 12 weeks
Ob/Gyn - 6 weeks
Pediatrics - 6 weeks

The family medicine rotation is split up. We spend 2 weeks at Baptist in Jackson and 4 weeks in a rural setting. My hometown qualifies as a rural setting and I already know most of the docs there so I'll most likely end up there. That's great too because it's only about 1 hour away from Jackson. I'm not planning on spending 4 weeks away from my husband, house, cat or dog. Do you know what kind of mess I'd come home to? Seriously...

1 comment:

R said...

I wish that would be your order (in THAT particular order)! Ha ha. And I am self-centered the exact way that you are. I think all of us in medical school are a bit like that. But you are right, it's better to know we are like that than to be oblivious to it!