Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day and Why Kris is a Superior Gift-Giver

Remember how I didn't have Kris's gift 3 days before Valentine's? Well, things got busy and I couldn't think of what to get him. So the morning of I woke up and made him a "gift certificate" for a round of putt putt golf. I put it in an official-looking envelope. How was it official-looking? Because I wrote those exact words on the outside in big red Sharpie. Ha. He also had a sweet card, Reese's hearts, and flavored Tootsie rolls in a cute bag. So at least it looked nice. Anyway, he was happy with it.

Then came time for my gift - he freakin' got me a hot pink iPod nano! Are you kidding me? We set a limit of $20. I think he broke that unless he's a major thief or something. I'm not usually a super-girly hot pink kind of girl, but I think it's pretty sweet since it was a Valentine's gift. Anyway, I'm VERY excited about it. While it was er, fun, "sharing" his iPod, it wasn't really convenient. He would take it to work and then I'd wait for him to come home before I went to run with it and sometimes it would be too dark by then and I wouldn't end up running at all. So hopefully I'll be more on track with my running from now on.

After our gift exchange I got ready and we went for a late lunch - or breakfast for us at Cock of the Walk. It was a bit overcast when we left the house but it cleared up once we got there. I indulged and had fried chicken. Yum. After we ate we went out and fed most of our left over french fries to the ducks and seagulls. Some of the seagulls even caught the fries in mid-air. It became a game where they'd fly down by our heads, hover for as long as they could hoping for a fry, and then fly off. The ducks didn't like this very much since they're pretty much water and ground-bound.

Then we decided to go play putt putt golf since we both enjoy it, the sun was out, and the weather was fairly mild. Some of the holes were a little slick, but we made it. We both got a hole-in-one at one point or another. Kris beat me by 3 strokes though. Then we went and checked out movie times. Taken was playing at 10:00 so we decided to head home and relax a little before heading out to see it. We headed home, drank some champagne out of some of the crystal glasses we got for our wedding and Kris played video games while I started setting up my new iPod. Then we headed out to see the movie. It was so good, but so scary. My heart rate was way way up at some points. For those who don't know - it's all about a girl who goes to Paris with a friend for a sort of senior trip deal. They get kidnapped and sold into sex slavery. The girl's biological father is some sort of a retired awesome ninja guy and works to find her. That's all I'm saying. No spoilers here. I'd recommend it and I'm not usually an action movie girl.

Overall we both had a fabulous day. I'm glad since usually days that are built up like Valentine's or birthdays don't tend to go so well. I think it is just because they are so highly anticipated that nothing ever lives up to what's expected. This year we just kind of played it by ear and went with things that we knew would be fun - no stress involved. Sometimes you've just got to go with the flow and do what feels right. That's one of the things I'm figuring out this year. If it doesn't feel right - don't do it. If you wake up at 6:00am with plans to study but feel like crap - go back to sleep. If you had plans to cook an immaculate dinner but now feel like cheap takeout - go for the takeout. Don't beat yourself up over silly details. Okay, I'm off my Oprah soapbox now. Have a fabulous week everybody!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a solution for your immaculate home-cooked dinner that doesn't pan out: try Kam Loon. It is the best Chinese takeout we've had around here. It's near you too- in the same shopping center as Papa John's at the intersection of School Street & Hwy 51. It is soooo cheap & yummy.