Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Fat Tuesday!

Hello world! I've been enjoying Fat Tuesday, but it sort of snuck up on me this year. I have usually obsessed about what I'm going to give up for Lent for about a week before this and then I eat/do all those things I'm giving up on Lent. Well, that didn't quite happen this year. I'm still trying to make up my mind. For the last 7-8 years or so I've given up some combination, and most recently all of the following: fried foods, carbonated beverages, fast food (with the exception of salads from takeout places), ice cream, and pizza. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the gist. This year I want to do something a little different. I thought about going vegan, but I'm not sure I have the time/patience/money to overhaul my pantry. I thought about things like running at least 10 miles per week or studying at least 1 hr daily for the STEP on top of all my other work. There's just a few things I know I'm going to try to do. I'm open to suggestions though. Here's what I've come up with so far that I'm definitely doing:

1. Giving up all form of dessert. SO hard for me!!! I have a MAJOR sweet tooth. This could get interesting...

2. I'm definitely giving up the carbonated beverages - maybe permanently? Wouldn't you be proud of me frylime? I've actually done this one every year and I've noticed it gives me more stamina when running. One of our teachers explained why one time, but darned if I can remember it now when I need to most (the STEP is looming. Have you heard?)

3. Oh yeah - I'm giving up facebook and popsugar (except for Sunday check-ins just to make sure noone's messaged me something really important or trying to get in touch with me. That's just rude.

4. I'm going to limit myself to checking my e-mail and all these wonderful blogs I read 2x daily - once in the morning, once at night/afternoon. That's going to save me lots of time and make me more efficient.

Seriously, leave me suggestions in the comments section. I'm open to them. Also, they just make my day.

Ooh - I really need to quit gossiping too. That's a bad habit of mine, but I've been much better about it lately. When you don't go to class/study with people you have much less of a chance to really gossip.

By the way, I'm not Catholic. I'm Methodist, but my youth group started doing this forever ago because we did have a few Catholic kids that attended our youth group and we all thought it would be fun. It's kind of stuck since then. I have good intentions ALL the time as far as studying, running, etc... but they're usually not all accomplished. I NEVER break my Lenten promises though, which is why I have to think about them really, really hard. Help me out peoples!

On an unrelated note - I went to see my preceptor today and he really put me and my partner to work! We took histories on every single one of his afternoon patients! And we only missed 1 question. That is, our preceptor only asked 1 question that we didn't think to ask. Maybe we're learning things after all.

1 comment:

frylime said...

yay!!!

also, i was raised methodist, but since i am sympathetic to the catholics i participate in lent as well. i'm going to be limiting my meat intake to one meal max per day, as well as cutting back sweets.