Friday, February 27, 2009

Lazy Productive Day


It sounds like an oxymoron, but that's what I think of on days like today. There was a lab session scheduled for 1/2 of our class, but I had mine on Wednesday so I'm a free girl today! I slept until 12:30. I really NEEDED it though. Just yesterday I left the library and skipped my lunch hour to sleep in my car outside my preceptor's clinic. That's just pathetic. I'm about to cook up my typical weekend breakfast - waffles with scrambled eggs and fruit. Then I'll probably study a little. Then I'll run. Then I'll study into the wee hours. Rinse. Repeat. This is my usual weekend.
I might break it up with a trip to Cups to study when I get sick of looking at the walls of my house or with a movie if Kris offers (he usually does).

I made chana masala yesterday. I stole the recipe off Katie's blog over at http://drkatiegoestomedschool.blogspot.com. (I tried to hyperlink it, but I'm not tech savvie and it didn't work.) She stole it from Martha Stewart. It was de-lish!!! I didn't add the onion because I knew Kris wouldn't eat it if I did, but I think next time I make it I will. Let's face it - he's not going to eat it anyway. I was particularly excited because the sauce had just the right amount of heat. It was so easy too!

* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 2 small onions, finely diced (1 1/2 cups)
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 1/2 cups crushed canned tomatoes (I used 3 c. tomato sauce)
* 1 teaspoon ginger powder
* 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
* 1 dash of cinnamon (I add cinnamon to every tomato-based dish I make)
* 1 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 tablespoon curry powder
* lowfat plain yogurt
* 1 fresh lime


Directions
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onions, and cook until they begin to brown. Add garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add the spices. and cook 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes and chickpeas. Bring to boil. Then reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes.
4. When it was ready I served it over rice and put a dollop of yogurt and a squeeze of lime over it. Then I put the leftover lime in a frosty beverage (wink, wink)

2 comments:

frylime said...

chickpeas = YUM!

Anonymous said...

What kind of rice? I bet it would be good over couscous too. That may be my meatless meal this week.