Tuesday, April 14, 2009

No, Really

Today this question was on our Preventive Medicine cumulative final:

What is the percentage today (2007) of VRNG (vancomycin resistant Neisseria gonorrhea) in Mississippi?

a)6%
b)12%
c)18%
d)32%
e)50%

This would be a perfectly valid question if we'd had a lecture that stressed this. I don't ever remember seeing a slide on this, though I'm pretty sure if I had, I would have forgotten it. This whole class was full of lectures that were full of slides with percentages on them. They really think I'm going to remember some measly percentage like one of those? Those aren't even impressive. Whatever though. When in doubt I've learned to go to one extreme or the other on the answer, so I went with 50%. It's probably wrong.

It reminded me of some advice the M3s gave us the other day at a lunch meeting regarding the attending surgeons:

"If you keep answering their questions correctly, they'll just keep asking questions until you eventually get one wrong. One time they asked me how much sodium was in the bag of saline."

4 comments:

OleMissBabyDoc, M.D. said...

I'll take a complete stab in the dark and go with 32%. Haha!

Ewok said...

I chose 12%...or whatever B was. haha.

Yeah, that test was a crapshoot. If my course in med school gets disrupted because of that class, I'm quitting med school. Because it reached the level of ridiculous.

R said...

I also selected 50% Allison.. however.. when I searched using my windows search thingy.. it pulled up 1 graph in 1 slide in 1 powerpoint.. (out of 20 powerpoints for the class!) AH They hate us!
P.S. The correct answer is 16%

frylime said...

16% are you kidding me? not even an answer choice!!! and i put 32%. poop.