Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Peer Pressure

Ha ha. I kid. You will notice I've changed my background and title. I have a few lovely ladies in my class that also have blogs and have recently done the same. I didn't even know you could use these cutesy backgrounds 'til I saw theirs. I know - I'm slow. So anyway, I am a big old copycat and I jumped on the bandwagon.

I have actually been wanting to change the title for a while. "Seriously," while it does apply to countless situations I have and will continue to find myself in over the course of this thing that is my medical education, was getting kind of old. I signed up for that back in the heyday of Grey's. I think we can all agree that show has nearly jumped the shark. I will keep watching it though. I'm just THAT loyal. Ha.

As for "Chasing Zebras," all those in the medical field already know what that means. For those of you who don't, here's a brief explanation. Whenever you go in and get a history from a patient and then present it to your attending he/she asks for a differential diagnosis - a list of every possible thing/ most probable things that are causing the patient's symptoms. If they have a runny nose and sore throat and you throw out something like, I don't know, brain tumor or pheochromocytoma (an incredibly rare tumor on the adrenal gland that EVERYONE in med school is on the hunt for), then your attending will likely say: "Quit chasing zebras." If you hear hoofbeats - it's probably a horse, not a zebra.

1 comment:

R said...

The new title is PERFECT! Although I hope I don't encounter a Zebra anytime soon! And the new background is cute!