Monday, January 5, 2009

Back in the Swing of Things

We went back to school to day. And what better way to say "Welcome Back!" then with 3 hours Gynecology lectures? I skipped out on the 8am - hey, I'm sick, remember? I was quite impressed with myself that I made it to the 9:00 on time. I even managed to pack my lunch and get it in the fridge at school before class started.

I'm pretty sure I had "strep throat" this past week. The reason I think that is because I definitely had pharyngitis - a swollen, inflamed pharynx and it was incredibly difficult and painful to swallow. In doctor speak this is dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) and odynophagia (painful swallowing). Sore throats are pretty common, but the painful swallowing is more of a hallmark of strep throat. It's caused by Streptococcus pyogenes and treated with penicillin or a z-pack. In hindsight I should have been treated, but hey - it was the weekend and I didn't have any obligation to study. Spending time in bed wasn't too difficult. Now the pharyngitis is gone, but I have acquired sinusitis - my sinuses are inflamed and producing tons of mucous. Yum... I'm pretty sure this combination is also referred to as "the crud." I have actually heard doctors refer to it as that - they were ER doctors though, so I'll let you draw your own conclusions there.

Kris is working at a different store this week. His higher-ups have decided he is "management material" and are giving him a one week trial run at the Game Stop in Flowood. I really hope he gets it since that means a salary and benefits, plus more control over his work schedule. He found out he can't actually start teaching until August (just a requirement of the teaching classes he's been taking), so he's glad to have the opportunity to do this until then. He still has 30 observation hours to complete in the classroom and then he can start looking for a job. Hopefully he'll find one near us - Northwest Rankin, Madison Central, any of those would be great. We'll see though.

Anyway, I now have 143 days till the dreaded STEP. I am off to study land.

No comments: