Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Mysterious Case of Gran Torino

What a wonderful weekend it's been so far. So it hasn't been wonderfully productive, but it has been wonderfully fun. I hadn't been to the movie theatre in probably a few months unless there's a movie I'm forgetting somewhere in there. Then this weekend Kris and I ended up going twice!

I spent Friday getting things done around the house - making lists, going shopping, bringing stuff back home and getting everything put in its place. I had every intention of going over a lecture or 2 after that, but then Kris got home and I ran some errands with him. We dropped off his computer to get fixed and then we decided it couldn't hurt to look at the movie schedule. There's so many good movies out right now. The Mysterious Case of Benjamin Button was set to play at 7:00. It was 5:00. So what did we do? We settled in at Chili's for a leisurely dinner. That means appetizers (Texas cheese fries - not on anyone's diet), dinner (don't worry I boxed up half of mine), and dessert (Chocolate Chip Molten Lava Cake - oh my freakin' gosh good). Then we went and saw the movie. I really liked it. Kris wasn't as impressed. It's 3 hrs long, but I didn't get bored. I thought the scenery was really nice, but I've decided it's because I grew up in a Victorian house and I just liked looking at the house in the movie because it's also Victorian.

So then Saturday rolls around and my bestie Julia is in town visiting her boyfriend. I met up with her and another friend for lunch at Primo's. It was de-lish. I got what I always get - the club sandwich. I'm never disappointed. Then we went to Northpark. Julia was on the hunt for a new pair of jeans. We all know how fun that is. It's particularly hard if you have hips AND a waist because jeans designers design for one or the other, but definitely not both. We both always have problems with our jeans gaping at the top. I've decided we should just find good tailors or learn how to take them in ourselves. Seeing as how I already know how to sew I could probably figure it out, but I just haven't gotten around to it what with that whole med school thing in the way. You know how that goes. After about 20 pairs of jeans at 2 stores she finally found the right pair. We also stumbled upon Nine West during a rare sale. They had several pairs of shoes for just $19.99. Lucky day! And wouldn't you know they had some flats that I really liked (and needed) and some tan alligator slingbacks that I also liked and needed. They're both comfy, go with anything, and I think I could even wear the heels without wincing in pain every 5 minutes. It was a productive trip to the mall for sure.

Then I went home, went over some breast pathology lectures, and made some potato soup (yum!). Julia called and we decided to do a double date and go see Gran Torino. Her significant other wanted to see My Bloody Valentine but we vetoed him. Poor thing. Gran Torino was really good, but so sad. I'm not giving anything away other than that. I was really disappointed with the quality of acting (other than Clint Eastwood's). I sometimes found myself laughing at inappropriate moments due to poor acting skills. It's still worth watching though.

And now it's Sunday. I really need to conquer some Pharmacology and Micro today but instead I'd rather play online and do laundry. I'm seriously about to look at some Pharm though. Really. Right now. Going to study. Yep. Not procrastinating at all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When are we going to see "Marley & Me"?

julzjubilee said...

durn right we vetoed him! Shot down.