Monday, January 12, 2009

The End of an Era

for Woodrow. I took him in this morning to be neutered. He was so excited to be at the vet and loved the whole car ride over. I felt pretty bad for him, but it was time. He had begun "marking" certain parts of the house. That's just a no-no.

Sometimes he's so good and other times he's so bad. Yesterday I was quite impressed with his behavior though. I took him for a walk and as we walked past the houses with dogs, they barked or whined. He did not. He generally ignored those dogs. He is not a "yappy dog" as my mama calls them. We may go a week without hearing him bark sometimes. When he does bark - watch out. He has what is called a "baying bark." Apparently that's what most hound or hunting dogs have. It starts as a bark and turns into a little bit of a howl in the middle.

He also ignored all the cats we walked past. The only things he doesn't ignore are scents. He'll catch a deer scent and want to follow it into the woods. For just 28 lbs. he is so strong. He nearly jerked my arm out of socket a few times!

Anyway, I'm hoping this surgery will calm him down just a little. He's just a tad bit too energetic for our tastes most of the time. One of our neighbors remarked that he looked like he was on speed as she saw him running laps around our house.

I guess we'll see how it all turns out. I know he'll get some pampering this afternoon - the "good" dog food that comes in a can and lots of petting. We bought him a new bed last week and hopefully he'll get some use out of it for the next few days.

1 comment:

Ewok said...

haha, you fail to recognize that while i can get through material fast, I don't absorb it fast. I took one look at the first 10 slides and wanted to tell them where to shove it. I can't bring myself to look at the virology ppt volumes 1-4 just yet. so really, you're ahead of me. :)