Saturday, January 16, 2010

Things That Happened This Week

It's been quite a week.

***Warning*** ***Rant ahead***

Had a slow leak in my tire since I went sliding on the ice and I went to get it fixed earlier this week. I really needed an oil change, new brakes, and maybe a new tire but decided just to just go to Wal-Mart and let them deal with the oil and tire. I was pleasantly surprised when the guy working there told me I had a nail in my tire and that he was able to patch it. No new tire. Money saved. Woohoo!

Then I got home from the hospital the next day, walked by my tire and saw that it was once again low and now missing the hubcap. Alas...

The water pipes in Jackson needed to undergo extensive repairs leaving several people without water. Fortunately I don't live there and had plenty of water - so much in fact, that I was able to wake up sitting in 3 inches of it on Thursday morning.

It's a long story, but it all starts with me losing my phone on Wednesday. Turns out it was at the VA. Hooray! Found! (See, I'm trying to be positive about all the crappy things that have happened!)

I usually use my phone as my alarm clock with my other huge, incredibly loud alarm clock as a backup. It's a delicate system that sometimes breaks down, but it's worked most every day this year to get me to the hospital on time (praise Jesus!). I really had a hard time getting to classes on time the last 2 years, but haven't has as much trouble getting to "work" on time this year. Anyway, back to the story. My phone alarm snoozes for 5 minutes and that's normally the perfect amount of time to run my bathwater. On a normal morning I get up, cut the water on, and get back in bed for 4.5 minutes of glorious sleep. On this morning, without my phone and without wanting to wake Kris up again with the loudest alarm clock in the world snoozing every 5 minutes I just went into the bathroom, cut the water on and took a seat on the floor. I laid my head in my hands on the edge of the tub and left one hand dangling in the tub so I'd feel the water and wake up. Well, you guessed it.

I woke up sitting in 3 inches of water. I also used up all the hot water. So I tried to be a kind, considerate wife and clean the floors and boil some hot water so at least Kris could take a hot bath. When I asked him if he wanted to take a bath he was so confused and then he got all mad and started yelling something about me "needing to get 8 hours of sleep." You can imagine where this went. I would LOVE to get 8 hours of sleep every night, but sometimes it's just not an option and you deal with it.

Anyway, long story short, it's been a rough week. While some people didn't have to go in to school this week because of the water outage we were rounding. We stayed until 6pm Friday and at one point I got pimped by the head of the department and I didn't even realize he was asking me a question. He said something about the side effects of phenytoin and then looked at me and started saying "1,2,3,4..." It was pretty funny because none of us knew that he was asking a question. He then asked my partner a more straight forward question about diabetes. What on earth?

Things could be worse, and I didn't mean to throw a pity party all over this post. At least I have a warm house to come home to unlike those poor people in Haiti. I'm really not even upset about the week. I just think it's weird when everything happens at once. At the end of the day I know all this work and humiliation in front of attendings will probably be worth it. Right? Right?

1 comment:

frylime said...

e-hug!

it's really interesting to sit back and think about all the things "we deal with". no sleep? we deal with it. no time for ourselves? tired? tonight i told H's family that i had to go to work tomorrow morning, and they were stunned. me? oh it's normal. we deal with it all. without complaining. alas.

also, the missing hubcap thing happened to me too after i got a tire fixed. it rolled into the res. luckily the tire people replaced it for free.