Saturday, January 2, 2010

2010

I've read a lot of posts about new year's resolutions, summaries of the last decade, and what's to come in the next decade. I probably should have been thinking about these things more but I've figured out that I'm more of an "in the moment" type person. You know how some people live in the past? I'm definitely more involved in what's happening right now. I think my friends will agree with this.

My one good friend J can tell you exactly what she was wearing and everything she did last Tuesday and how she felt about it all. I usually cannot even tell you what I did 2 days ago. I used to be able to do that. Maybe the mind is slipping? Maybe I should start quantifying things like that? Who knows. It's probably not ever going to happen though. My other good friend A will ask me about plans for the weekend or plans for next year, etc... and my answer is almost always "Oh, I hadn't really thought about it yet." So, with all that said, here's some resolutions for 2010:

In 2010 I would like to:
*run/walk at least 300 miles (treadmill or outside). I think this is a very realistic goal. Keeping it all recorded, on the other hand...

*quit being so self-centered. Maybe it's part of living in the moment, but I often forget things people tell me, not about themselves but mostly in reference to time. I forget that a friend will be coming into town or that my husband has to work all weekend.

*get this house organized so there's a place for everything and everything in its place. I'm getting closer every day, but there's always more to be done. I joke with K that as soon as I have everything just like I want it, it will be time to move.

*watch less tv. A friend of ours in class, S, who just had a baby has one night per week with no tv with his family. He was my partner for part of the psych rotation and he claimed after trying it out the first night that he felt like he's been cheating himself for years. That kind of stuck with me. Think of all the things you could do if not glued to the tv. Granted, I usually am folding clothes or doing sit-ups or painting my nails while watching tv but you get the point.

*Eat more steak. Probably sounds like a weird resolution, but it's one of the few meats I know how to cook decently that doesn't ever really disappoint. It's lean, it's fast, and it feels like an indulgence for much, much cheaper than even a meal at McDonald's.

*Cook more - kind of goes along with be more organized. Ideally I'd like to cook 2 days a week (Sunday and Wednesday) and eat leftovers all week. It would be such a timesaver. Also, related - I'd like to pack my lunch more often. That would save tons of moolah.

I could keep writing forever, but I need to get off my sniffly little butt and get some things done around this place before the hustle and bustle starts back on Monday. K and I both have moderate cases of acute sinusitis right now which has resulted in lots of lounging, reading, and movie watching together over the last few days. I guess if you're going to get sick, it's nice to have someone there with you. While other people were toasting champagne and kissing at midnight on New Year's we were popping Aleve-D out of the foil backing and washing it down with water. Such a glamorous life...

No comments: