Thursday, January 7, 2010

Easy, Healthy Banana Bread

Hey y'all. Just made this banana bread recipe and it turned out pretty decent so I thought I'd share:

Ingredients

* 1/3 c. natural applesauce
* 3/4 c. brown sugar
* 3 egg whites
* 2-3 bananas
* 1/3 c. water
* 1 2/3 c. wheat flour (I used whole wheat pancake mix - cause I didn't want a huge bag of wheat flour that I wouldn't have time to use before it went rancid...)
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
*OPTIONAL - chocolate chips, walnuts, dried cranberries, etc... I added chocolate chips and it was pretty dang delicious. Other than that I don't think this bread has much fat/cholesterol in it at all.


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix applesauce and sugar.
3. Stir in eggs then bananas then water.
4. Stir in dry ingredients.
5. Pour mixture into a loaf pan and bake ~35 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

This bread was a tasty end to a not so awesome day on Endocrine. I just don't really "jive" with the people who have chosen to do endocrine as their careers. It's not that I don't like them or respect them. We don't fight or disagree or anything. They're just kind of... different. They definitely don't have the same sense of humor as me and my partner. I'm not sure if I've ever seen one of them laugh - ever. They do stare a lot though. Here's a few reasons Endocrine is just not jiving with me:

1. We round at 2:30 in the afternoon, mostly because our attending is semi-retired.
2. They're big THINKERS; not so much DOERS. They're very nice, but I'm more of a doer for sure.
3. Today we met to round/have a case study with our attending at 2:30. He gave us the case, we all pondered it. At one point my partner and I were discussing what hormones were secreted from the anterior pituitary vs the posterior pituitary. It was all pertinent to the question he had just asked us. At that point he says, "Girls, pay attention now..." as if we're his 5 year old great-grand children or something. (He graduated from med school 50 yrs ago, literally. He told us so.) I really had to bite my tongue.
4. After berating us for discussing the pituitary gland, he then asked me a question and when I had to think about it for a second he said, "Come on Ashley, give us an answer." Is my name Ashley? No. thankyouverymuch.
5. About 30 minutes into our case study some nice gentleman came into our room and stated that all the students were to be dismissed because of the bad weather and that only the department heads had gotten the e-mail. Our attending stated that he saw that, but didn't think it mattered. He then proceeded to keep us for the next 45 minutes before letting us go to "do whatever it is we do all day." Yeah, he said it.

Can you tell someone's made my sh*tlist???

2 comments:

E said...

Oooh, I'm going to have to try that recipe!!

frylime said...

oh bother...endocrinologists just don't seem like fun anyway...! and i think that's perfectly ok that you don't jive with them...i might look at you differently if you did...ha!