Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cool Side Note

Today I got to see an A/V fistula created by one of the vascular surgeons at UMC for dialysis access. The cool part:
*I felt a "thrill" over it - a buzzing sensation
*I heard a bruit! Finally! I've been wanting to hear a bruit for the last year or so. It's just a little "whoosh" type sound you can hear with the bell of your stethoscope (the smaller side). You hear it in the carotid arteries when there's blockage and also in AV fistulas.

I'm more excited about these things that I saw in clinic rather than in surgery. All the surgeons HATE clinic, but I really prefer it to most of the other things we do. Perhaps it's a sign.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Whooo!! Go clinic (and part-time inpatient care)! Haha...

frylime said...

i was so happy to see you the other day!!!