Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It's All in the Details

Well, there's not much to report here in StudyLand. I took the most miserable test of my life Monday. We started the day off at 10:00 am with a developmental anatomy test covering the formation of the heart (it's more complicated than one might think - it starts out as a single tube!), formation of the digestive system, respiratory system, and body cavity. It was interesting. Anyway, then me and Austin had Back Yard Burger and a panic attack for lunch. It's important to mention the Back Yard Burger part because in order to not have a more severe panic attack before the next test, you must distance yourself as far away as possible from the other (smarter, more gunnerish) people in your class. In our case, the best we could do was the Back Yard Burger a hundred yards away. It worked though, not a classmate in site.
There we reviewed for the gross practical and written test while eating ice cream to soothe our worries from the test before. Then we huffed it back to school and rushed into the practical. The practical actually went pretty well. By well I mean that I only had question marks by 12 of the 70 structures tagged. On the 1st practical I only had 6 smiley faces on my paper. A definite improvement I must say.
All hopes were shattered once we stepped into that written test though. I think I may have gotten the 1st 2 questions correct. I really enjoyed periodically hearing the people around me mutter cuss words or flip pages frantically before lowering their heads to do deep breathing exercises. One of my lunch table buddies told me she prayed over all the questions she didn't know at first, but it just got too time-consuming near the end.
I'm generally a speedy test-taker, but I only had 10 minutes left on this one. Of course I sat out in the hall to see everyone's faces as they walked out. We're in a general consensus. It was a horrible test. It's really funny when you see a few of the "smart" med school kids come out after you with a glazed look in their eye, walking like zombies towards their lockers.
I went home immediately and showered, got ready, and made Kris take me out for queso, margaritas, and a movie. Then I came home and tried to watch all the shows I missed last week online. Because I was trying to cram all the fun from 2 weeks into one night, I stayed up way too late and woke up at 7:35 the next morning. This was not okay because the geniuses on the curriculum committee thought it would be smart to put a mandatory "professionalism" (read, bullcrap) class at 8:00 the day after our horrible tests. The really ironic thing is, the presentation was on time management, and the lady giving the talk was 20 minutes late - just like me :)
Anyway, there is no time to cry over the test, we have another one Monday. This time it's biochem and histology though, so hopefully it will be better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

does the great KZB live down there in jacktown or kosy?

Anonymous said...

oooooooh ok. ;) Well that sucks, Jason and I will be on the coast this weekend..seems we can never get our schedules coordinated :(