Wednesday, May 19, 2010

White Cloud?

All year I've been stating I'm a black cloud. This means I have bad luck. If something can go wrong, it will. It's been proven time and time again throughout the year. But I'm beginning to think being in a sister group full of white clouds has rubbed off.

My partner and I were supposed to be on call yesterday. We came in scrubs, with books and computers and lean cuisines, prepared to be at the hospital all night. We saw our patients in the morning before class (well, my partner did... I was lucky and didn't have a patient. This is the 2nd time this has happened to me the ENTIRE year.) I skipped class because I slept in and got there at about 8:10. Didn't want to walk in late. We rounded at 9:30 as usual. After rounds our chief/attending looked at all of us and told us what a good job we'd done, how he'd taught us all he could, and that he didn't need to see us back. Oh lucky day! Our intern made us sweat it out though. She looked at my partner and I several times and told us to "run it by our upper level." Great. We knew we'd be stuck there all night.

Somehow, by the grace of God, she decided to be cool for once in her life and let us get the heck out of there! We still had to meet with our preceptor at 1:30 and didn't end up leaving until 3:00, but what a wonderful day. We didn't have to come back for call. We have no more clinical duties this year! We have a test Friday, 2 boards next week, 2 boards the week after, Step 2 CK, Step 2 CS, and we're officially 4th years. For now this means:

No more 5:00 am awakenings.

No more waking up sleeping babies.

No more Saturdays spent at the hospital.

No more call nights.

No more mile long treks from the stadium parking lot in the blazing heat.

No more busy work. (Hallelujah!!!)

No more patient logs to keep track of.

No more tests.

Best of all - no more putting on that filthy "white" coat. (I used to love putting it on. Before I had stuff in all the pockets that causes it to weigh 50 lbs. and terrible neck and shoulder pain.)

Some of these will return for parts of 4th year, such as the 5:00 am awakenings during certain rotations and the mile long treks from the stadium, and call nights and Saturdays spent at the hospital. And of course this summer isn't going to be super fun since it will be spent studying for boards, STEP exams, etc... but it's such a relief to have this year over with. It was a lot of fun, but mostly it was a whole lot of work and sleep deprivation. All that said, I've got to get back to finishing up some busy work for the Peds department... At least I'm in my pajamas at home though :)

1 comment:

julzjubilee said...

Yay!!! So proud of you for finishing yet another year! Can't wait to see you next week!!!!!