Wednesday, February 10, 2010

That Time I Almost Crapped My Pants

So today was a wonderful day. I knew it would be. Our patient list had been whittled down since being on call a few days ago which means less patients and shorter rounds, less to do, etc... I knew there was no way they could find enough scut to keep us occupied until 2:00 or 3:00. One of the interns tried, but no one took him up on his offer to go to his afternoon clinic with him.

I can only imagine. He would have had us see all the patients, come up with assessments and plans and present to him just like he was an attending. That way he wouldn't have to think or work. He automatically turns into the authoritative one as soon as our upper level resident steps out of the room. This is the same intern who showed up this morning at the same time as our upper level resident without having seen any of his patients. It's a little ridiculous.

Anywho, we finished rounding pretty early this morning and said intern told us to go read about CHF. Instead we went and ate and lounged, checked our test grades, e-mail, and so on like good students. Ha ha. This was probably around 10 or 10:30. He said to check in around 12:30. I snuck off and went to lunch at Basil's with my mom and sis and subsequently saw no less than 3 classmates and 3 4th year med students all there. Guess that Fondren corner building would be a really safe place to fall out, huh?

I arrived around 12:40 or so to see my classmates headed for the Exit with bookbags in tow. Yes! Our M4 had dismissed us and told us to say the other intern did it. I went home and got all cozied up in bed, was almost asleep and then I heard my phone ringing.


It was my UPPER LEVEL RESIDENT! I literally jumped out of bed and started pacing, considered not even answering it for a split second.

Upper Level: "Hey Allison."

Me, very nervous: "Uh, hi upper level resident"

Upper level: "Umm, WHERE are you guys?"

Me: "Uh, erm, uh, we were told to go home?..." (yes, with that slight upward lilt at the end)

Upper level:"Oh good, I just wanted to make sure you guys had left. I'm about to leave myself. Didn't want y'all stranded at the hospital."


And then I had to take several deep breaths to calm down. Got back in bed and took a 2.5 hour nap. I think I could have slept 8 hrs but Kris woke me up. I had to be all responsible and take our taxes to be done, like a grownup, gah. K went to the doc to get a brand new slightly suspicious looking mole on his face checked out. My advice before he went: Let's watch it for a week for changes in size, color, shape before cutting it off. Doc's advice: Let's watch it for a week. Guess I am learning something?

We had dinner at Pigskin's tonight. We'd never been. K got the smoked chicken sandwich and I got the BBQ. It was delish! It didn't hurt that the waiter brought us 3 pieces of FREE cake. Lemon, chocolate, and pound cake. We ate it ALL but to be fair they were about 1/2 inch thick little slivers. Ah, who am I kidding. I can't say no to cake!

On call tomorrow; let's hope we cap EARLY and don't get snowed into the VA!

1 comment:

julzjubilee said...

We love Pigskins!!! It's so good! We wanted them to cater our rehearsal dinner, but they don't cater out of town. Glad you enjoyed it!