Thursday, June 24, 2010

I Conquered World!

Okay, so I didn't conquer THE world per se, but I did finish USMLE World question bank. It's ~2300 questions long, and pure misery. I finished it late last night. I know, I know, I said I was going to finish it before the wedding last weekend, but there were just things that needed to be done before the festivities began. Then I needed a day or 2 to recover it seems like.

I take the big test Monday. So what will I do until then? Well I've just used my most OCPD characteristics and made a list of the subjects I did the worst on in World. I'm going to start my review by reading those sections in a review book, then reworking the questions I missed for that subject. Maybe that will help me learn just a few things in the next 3-4 days. Wanna know what I suck at? Here 'tis:

WORST SUBJECTS:
1. Poisonings - don't come to me if you overdosed. I will likely kill you in the process of trying to save you. Sorry.

2. Infectious Disease - don't come to me if you're um, well... sick? But really, if you do come to me and you've got pneumonia I'll likely just look up the most appropriate antibiotic at the time. Or ask my attending. Then I'll write the order for it. Then I will have learned it. I can't learn all this crap by skimming it on a page, but I digress...

3. Genitourinary - but Allison, I thought you wanted to be an Ob/Gyn? Don't worry guys. That section is separate. This section is a little more Urology-ish.

4. Endocrinology - I just don't think organ systems should exist that have little pieces in the brain, above the kidneys, and in the throat.

5. Gastroenterology - I'm kind of surprised about this one. It's one of my favorite subjects (it's just a long tube y'all). I think I've gotten better at it as my studying has progressed and I get really relieved once I realize it's a GI question being asked.

Okay, so now y'all know what I suck at. Do you wanna hear what I'm good at? Well I don't care if you do or not. This is my blog and I'll do what I want :)

BEST SUBJECTS:

1. Psychiatry - I'm betting this is everyone's best subject.

2. Dermatology - I'm as surprised as you are.

3. Preventive Medicine - I'd rather prevent you from getting sick than have to pick the appropriate antibiotic once you've gone off and gotten sick.

4. OB/GYN!!! - See, I told you not to worry.

5. Biostats - This makes me laugh. Because we took this class 2nd year. And my grades speak quite the contrary to this being on the list of things I'm good at. I think I still remembered some of this because I had to study so hard for that last test. You know, to pass the class.



So that's that. I guess I'm about to study some poisonings and infectious disease. I've already made a list of things I want/have to do once this test is over and I can't wait to tackle some of it.

2 comments:

Ewok said...

as of today and consensus of frylime and our other comrade, OB/Gyn and acid/base disorders were top of the most tested items. Can't predict what will be on your test, but if I had to study anything more, I would have learned what acid/base disorders meant (including lots of here's the pH, PCO2, PO2 now what's wrong?)

Good luck! if you have as much OB as I did you'll MURDER it!

Laura said...

I had a lot of Ob-Gyn, several incontinence questions, pediatric hip problems and several of the acid/base ones. My best scores on World were pediatrics and surgery, but ophthamology and GI were up there. My worst was respiratory.