Sunday, August 16, 2009

Putting My Running Shoes On

I'm not actually going running. Lord knows I haven't done that in 2 weeks. I'm getting ready for peds surgery. I was really excited about it until I found out the other 2 medical students who were supposed to be on the service with me switched off because... get this - "they wouldn't have enough time to study." If you're not ready for a rant, please stop reading.

Here's the thing. On most services, every patient has to be seen in the morning by an M3 BEFORE the intern/resident sees them. You generally meet the afternoon before or the morning of and divide the list of patients to be seen. Since I've just come off an incredibly busy service where I was seeing 6 pts every morning before 6:40am, I really feel I deserve a break. I've had NO time to study - at all. Some nights I go home and don't even eat dinner. I just sleep. And now I'm going onto one of the busiest services with absolutely no help. It would have been fine with the 3 of us to see patients I'm sure. Now it's going to be hell. I'm really not sure how I'm going to survive. This, my friends, is why I'm counting down the days to family medicine. I've already been given the first day off by my preceptor because he'll be post-call and not seeing patients that morning. Gotta love it :)

I think I've decided I'd like to do some sort of primary care when I "grow up." I like the idea of knowing the patients you're going to see and work with instead of hurriedly brushing up on their history in the 5 minutes before you go do a consult on them. So most likely it'll be family med, peds, or ob/gyn. Can't wait to do ob/gyn because I think c-sections would be really fun. I enjoy short surgeries, love opening the abdomen, love closing at the end, but just don't really care too much about the colon or liver. I also enjoy patients who are healthy enough to have walked into clinic to see you that day. ICU patients really intimidate me.

Anyway, on to happier thoughts. I managed to somehow get this weekend off. When I told my 2nd year resident I was leaving Friday afternoon at about 3:00 (the M4 was on call and covering us the rest of the day since she had to be there anyway) he just could not understand why I'd want to go home. He questioned me for 5 minutes. It was comical. Then he got really upset when he realized there wouldn't be another M3 coming onto the service. Ha ha. Goodbye cardiothoracic surgery!!!

Went home Friday night for a birthday diner celebration with my in-laws. Spend Saturday morning moving my grandmother's furniture into her new place of residence. Then spent Saturday night at an engagement party for a friend of mine. Today I plan on doing a little cleaning, a little exercising, a little studying, and definitely dinner out with the hubs and watching Mad Men at 9:00! Hooray for fun weekends :)

1 comment:

frylime said...

what terds are you with? alas!

i can't wait for medicine to be over either...12 weeks is way too long...