Saturday, August 18, 2007

I survived the 1st week - sort of!

Well, I'm 1/18th of the way finished with 1/8 of the path towards attaining my M.D. Nice, huh? I made it through the 1st week - went to every class, took 3 quizzes, and ate 4 free lunches this week. That's right, medical school = free lunch... from the government no less. The air force came one day to recruit us, the national guard another day, family medicine one day, and I honestly can't remember who the other group was. I'm about all turkey-sandwiched out though, since they all fed us the exact same lunch. Anyway, today in order to get on track and ready for the test (which is Wednesday, pray y'all!), I have to memorize 20 amino acid names, abbreviations, 1-letter abbreviations, pka's, and bonding characteristics. This will probably account for about 5 questions on the test Wednesday which will probably have 75 Biochem questions. Maybe that gives you an understanding of how the week's been. Anyway, on to happier things.

I'm in CUPS right now taking a study break and the couple who made my coffee earlier came back in about an hour after they got off work to tell their other coworkers they were engaged. However, they barely even looked at each other the whole time they were here because they were alerting all their nearest and dearest via text message. Just seemed a little strange to me, that's all. This week in wedding planning I've managed to order the napkins with our names, wedding date, and giant monogrammed initial on them - quite the Southern wedding staple. I figure if I can get one thing accomplished per week for now I'll be fine. For those of you who don't know, I've already got my dress and the bridesmaids have theirs. I found mine in 1 hour! I'm quite the power-shopper. Anyway, it hasn't been altered yet, but I think I'm definitely going to wait more towards the end of this year of school since I've lost 3 pounds just this week due to stress and a steady diet of turkey sandwiches and coffee.

2 comments:

Beth and David said...

One wedding accomplishment a week sounds like a good idea. Hope Kris realizes he is getting off pretty easy (forgot to ask Gini how his job search is going.) That seems to be the going thing this month as Rob is looking for another job and Amy is going back to work full time ASAP, so she is trying to make a decision (those poor little grandbabies having to go to day care and school all day is hard on their Mimi.)
David and I are going on a long vacation (9/6-9/18) to Niagara Falls, the Pocono Mts, Philadelphia, etc., so I probably won't be blogging back for a while. Love ya, Auntie B
ps--Hope you get something other than turkey sandwiches this week.

Gini said...

I know that you can survive the other 17/18 of the semester. I will try to think of better meals that don't taste like turkey sandwiches.

I'm looking forward to seeing those napkins.