Thursday, August 12, 2010

Quote of the Day

Because I don't want to violate HIPAA at all I'm just gonna tell you we had a very, very young patient come into OB Receiving today after getting a positive pregnancy test at the pediatrician's office yesterday. She's not even in high school yet :(

Me: "When was your last menstrual period?"

Very Young Girl: *says nothing* Mother tries to persuade her to answer me. They end up telling me it was about 5 weeks ago.

The kicker - we do a sono and she's almost 6 months pregnant.

It was a really sad situation.

P.S. - I've finally adjusted to the hours, gotten in a groove, feel more useful than a burden to the residents, and am 100% sure I've made the right decision about what career to pursue. Thank God! - literally, thank God! I'm having a blast. Even though the days are long, they somehow fly by. It's incredible.

3 comments:

frylime said...

wow, sad story. but on the other hand, it's wonderful to have that feeling of "i'm in the right place".

today we had a level 1 craziness come through the ER straight to the OR and i was so excited...

Ewok said...

that is really sad about your patient!

I know what you mean. I just have some ideas as to who I'm going to ask for letters. whether they agree or not is another story.

I'm so glad you had that "yes" moment about your career. I know you'll make an AWESOME Ob/Gyn. I'll tell everyone I know to come see you! It's always good to have that feeling of days flying, even with long hours.

thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully now with a better situation to work out, I can condition and make it through that 5k!

julzjubilee said...

Yay! I'm so glad you are happy at work! I hate that you are dealing with the sad parts of the job too, but I know those people need you (whether they know it or not). te amo!