Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Palpable LN

Oy - came down with a rough case of acute rhinosinusitis yesterday which is being controlled pretty well with Aleve-D, my Neti pot, and lots of hot tea and cold water. I'm not sure of the percentage, but I'm inclined to say >90% of rhinosinusitis cases are viral in origin which is why there's no point in going to the doctor for these things (unless you want a shot of decadron) and there's especially no point in asking for antibiotics. Anyway, all that was to say that I've been regularly checking my supraclavicular and cervical (neck) regions for palpable lymph nodes and wouldn't you know it - this afternoon I found 2! I've been skeptical of my LN palpation skills ever since I read Mom's Marijuana by Shapiro. After his diagnosis with lymphoma and subsequent stays in hospitals he commented on how most physicians never palpated with enough pressure to pick up his nodes, but he always knew where they were.

Fell in love with psychiatry today when the resident realized I was sick and immediately sent me home and told me to come back in a day or 2 when I felt better. Hooray for thoughtful residents. I could get used to this...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view